(in Oxford Uni)
Image by Vadim Sherbakov

The College Welfare System

Welfare systems vary from college to college. However, these are the basic roles that you could reach out to:

College Nurse

The college nurse may be able to help you with welfare and healthcare matters, such as by talking with you about your concerns, treating minor illnesses and injuries, and/or referring you to medical services.

JCR / MCR Welfare Reps

These are students elected by the college's student body to represent and support undergraduates (Junior Common Room (JCR)) or postgraduates (Middle Common Room (MCR)) in general welfare matters.

They may be especially useful in signposting you to college resources, supporting you in meetings with college staff or campaigning for policy changes that could help you.

Harassment Advisor

These are college-specific staff members who form part of the university-wide Harassment Advisory Network.

They can listen confidentially and clarify your options.

Academic Registrar

The Academic Registrar provides support for issues related to your health and welfare, including alternative examination arrangements and hardship funding.

It Happens Here College Representative

Our college representatives have direct contact with our committee. They can (with your consent) share your concerns with us and help push for policy changes within your college.

Peer Supporters

Peer supporters are other students who have received specialised "Peer Support" training in listening and support skills. They can provide a shoulder to lean on and give emotional support.

College Counsellor

College counsellors are able to provide mental health support, free-of-charge and generally more quickly than university counselling services.

Junior Deans / Wardens

Junior Deans are postgraduates who act as key liaison figures between the college and its students. They work closely with the Dean.

Senior Tutor

 The Senior Tutor can be contacted if you would like to discuss your academic progress, issues related to your academic support and academic engagement activities.

More Ways That Colleges Can Help

  • if you are living in college accommodation, they can help ensure that you don't need to live near the perpetrator or share facilities with them.

  • they can work with your tutors to make sure that you’re not overwhelmed with work, such as by allowing deadline extensions.

  • welfare officers may be able to accompany you to places like the GUM clinic, Solace SARC, police station, or meetings with other people in college.

For more information about whom to reach out to and what your college can do to help, visit your college's official website and/or reach out to your college student reps (e.g. Welfare Rep).

Note: our campaign stands strongly against the use of non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) / gagging clauses that prevent student survivors from speaking out about their experiences. If you are concerned that you or someone you know has been subjected to such a clause, click here to visit Can't Buy My Silence's guide on NDAs and how to recognise them.