Domestic Abuse Helpline

Call 0800 731 0055

Open between 10 am and 7 pm on weekdays

Free and will not show up on telephone bill

Alternatively, email


If you or someone you know is currently experiencing or has experienced abuse from a partner, ex-partner or family member in Oxfordshire or West Berkshire, trained staff can offer emotional support, confidential advice and guidance as well as practical support, including a safe place to stay (refuge) and/or access to the High Risk and Court Independent Domestic Violence Advisory (IDVA) Service (if necessary).

The Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline is run by A2Dominion. They work with victims to empower them to make decisions regarding their relationship, irrespective of whether they wish to leave or not.

Men's Advice Line

Call 0808 8010327

Open Monday to Friday

Free and will not show up on telephone bill

Non-English language interpreter available

Accessible to people with hearing and speech difficulties (via Next Generation Text)
Live chat available online

Email info@mensadviceline.org.uk


This helpline is for male victims of DV, as well as their friends or family.

They have both male and female advisors. It is possible to request a male advisor specifically.

Their website also has legal information factsheets.

This service is provided by Respect, a registered UK charity fighting domestic violence.


Galop is a national charity for LGBTQ+ victims of domestic violence, sexual violence and other abuse. They also support friends and family. Services are delivered by trained LGBT staff.

Their National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline can help with access to housing, reporting incidents and linking in with local services.


  • 0800 999 5428 (nationwide)

  • 020 7704 2040 (London)

Email help@galop.org.uk

A webchat is available on their website

LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Survivors Forum

Access via. their website (click here)

Flag DV

Support service for domestic abuse victims in Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Hampshire.


  • free legal advice session (to access, fill out the referral form on their website) (click here)

  • financial aid to help with legal costs (click here)

  • directory of useful resources and services (click here)

Open to women, LGBTQ+ individuals and men affected by domestic abuse.

To access, fill out the referral form on their website.

Thames Valley Police

Thames Valley Police is the police force covering the counties of Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire.

If someone is in immediate danger or if a crime has just happened, call 999.

If you have a hearing or speech impairment, use the textphone service 18000 or text 999 if you’ve pre-registered with the emergencySMS service.

You can report a crime (e.g. harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, spiking):

  • online (click here)

  • via. a phone call (call 101, open 24/7)

  • by visiting a police station

For information about:

  • how to report domestic abuse, click here

  • what happens after a report of sexual violence, click here.

Clare's Law gives any member of the public the right to ask the police if their partner may pose a risk to them. To make a Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS) application, click here.

For information on how to apply for an injunction, a special court order that can protect you or your children from being harmed or threatened (non-molestation order) or prevent someone from living or entering your home (occupation order), click here.

To give information anonymously, use CrimeStoppers


Chayn is a globally-distributed, trauma-informed organisation that supports people who have experienced gender-based violence, especially domestic abuse. They provide resources, including online counselling, self-taught courses, videos, and articles, as well as a global directory of helplines.

Surviving Economic Abuse

Surviving Economic Abuse (SEA) is a UK charity specialising in supporting women who are experiencing economic abuse.

Economic abuse is a legally recognised form of domestic abuse, involving the control of a partner or ex-partner’s money and finances, as well as the things that money can buy. To learn more, click here.

They provide:

  • "Tools to Thrive", information pages and guides on navigating and escaping economic abuse (click here)

  • A Survivors' Forum (click here)

  • Financial Support Line (click here), open Monday to Friday, free of charge. Call 0808 196 8845.


The Domestic Violence Team supplied by SignHealth provides support for people in the Deaf community who are experiencing domestic violence or worried that they might be.


They are able to assign a dedicated advisor who can offer support and advice regarding housing, children, therapy and the legal system.


Specialised help is available for people under 25 years old.

Text 07800 003421
Email da@signhealth.org.uk

Karma Nirvana

Karma Nirvana is working to end honour based abuse in the UK.

For some communities, the concept of ‘honour’ is highly prized. To compromise the ‘honour’ of a family or community can have severe consequences. This is sometimes used to justify abuse and coercive control. You can learn more about honour based abuse here.

Karma Nirvana also works to protect people who are being forced into marriages. A forced marriage is one in which one or both people do not consent to the marriage, but are coerced into it by their families or their community. You can learn more here.

If you are at risk of honour based abuse or forced marriage, or you are concerned about someone who is, call the National Honour Based Abuse Helpline for free at 0800 5999 247 (open Monday to Friday).

Forced Marriage Unit

The Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) leads on the government’s forced marriage policy, outreach and casework. It operates both inside the UK (where support is provided to any individual) and overseas (where consular assistance is provided to British nationals, including dual nationals).

The FMU offers:

  • safety advice

  • assistance with 'reluctant sponsor' cases

  • assistance in repatriation of victims held against their will overseas

  • help with understanding legislation, including applications for a Forced Marriage Protection Order (FMPO)

  • Forced Marriage: A Survivor's Handbook

  • leaflets, posters and "Right to Choose" awareness short films

Call +44 (0) 20 7008 0151

Email: fmu@fcdo.gov.uk

Housing Departments

Housing departments have a duty to house anyone fleeing domestic abuse.


Oxford City: 01865 252858
Cherwell: 01295 252535
South Oxfordshire: 01235 540359
Vale of the White Horse: 01235 540359
West Oxfordshire: 01993 861010
Social & Community Services: 0845 050 7666
Out of hours: 0800 833408

Safe Lives

Safe Lives is a UK-wide charity dedicated to ending domestic abuse.

They offer:

  • the Safe Lives Resources Library (click here): clear information for people affected by domestic violence and those supporting them. Includes:

    • a guide to MARAC (Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conferences) (click here)


Domestic Abuse Helpline

Call 0808 2000 247

Open 24/7

Free and will not show up on telephone bill

Language interpreters available

Live chat and BSL interpreter available online

Alternatively, use their contact form


This helpline is a women-only space. All helpline staff are women and it is intended for women only. (Male victims of domestic violence can use the Men's Advice Line.)

This service is provided by Refuge and Women's Aid.

Women's Aid also offers an up-to-date, searchable directory of local services (click here).

ManKind Initiative

Call 01823 334244

Open Monday to Friday


This helpline is for male victims of DV, as well as their family/friends/colleagues.

They offer listening support and information.

They also offer a Directory of Local Services (click here).

The Survivor's Handbook

​​The Survivor's Handbook provides comprehensive practical support and information for people experiencing domestic abuse, including legal rights and procedures. 

It is provided by Women's Aid, a national charity working to protect women and children affected by domestic violence.

National Centre for Domestic Violence

If there has been recent use or threat of physical violence in the past 10 days, the National Centre for Domestic Violence (NCDV) can help you get an emergency injunction within 24 hours. If there has not been a recent use or threat of physical violence, you can still start the process for a protective injunction. An injunction is a special court order that makes someone act or forbids someone from acting in a certain way.

Common injunctions include:

  • Non-Molestation Order:  prevents a person from using or threatening physical violence, intimidating, harassing, or pestering you, communicating with you and/or from coming within a certain distance of your home. It also forbids an abuser to instruct or encourage others to do these acts.

  • Occupation Order: can evict an abuser from the home and suspend rights to occupy or visit or return. 

  • Prohibited Steps Order: forbids someone with parental responsibility from taking your child away from your care and control

Call 0800 970 2070

Text NCDV to 60777

Email office@ncdv.org.uk

Submit a referral form online (click here)

100% free of charge.


The UK's largest provider of relationship support.


They provide:

  • individual counselling

  • couple and family counselling

  • mediation

  • sex therapy

  • informal workshops

  • relationship help pages (click here)

Open to people of all ages, backgrounds, sexual orientations and gender identities. 

They are able to support individuals who are in or have left a violent relationship.

Book a consultation online (click here).

For Relate Oxfordshire:

call 01865 242 960

email relate.enquiries@relate.org.uk

Oxfordshire Relate Centre

33 Iffley Road

Oxford OX4 1EA

Please note that there is a charge for using Relate services.

Refuge Tech Safety

Advice on recognising tech abuse, securing your tech, staying safe online, and what to do if you're worried that someone you know is experiencing tech abuse.

Tech abuse includes harassment and stalking online, intimate image abuse, hacking, someone controlling the use of your phone, someone having access to your online accounts, etc.

Service provided by Refuge.


A UK charity supporting people with learning disabilities, autism or both who have experienced trauma, including domestic abuse and sexual violence.

This includes:

  • specialist psychotherapy services (click here)

  • an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) (click here) (see FAQs)

  • one-to-one support and advocacy for young women who have experienced any form of gender-based violence (click here)

  • one-to-one support and advocacy for clients who may be at risk of a forced marriage, harmful relationship, or require support to understand what a harmful relationship is (click here)

They also provide:

  • a service to assess, rehabilitate and reintegrate clients who sexually offend or display harmful sexual behaviour (click here)

Call 020 7383 0700

Email admin@respond.org.uk


Sharan supports South Asian women across the UK, particularly those escaping forced marriages and domestic violence.

They can advocate on your behalf to help manage key areas such as housing, how to write a CV, interview skills, help completing benefit forms, counselling & advocacy, where to find your nearest place of worship, how to manage your money and more.

call 0844 504 3231

email info@sharan.org.uk

Southall Black Sisters

Southall Black Sisters (SBS) is a London-based, not-for-profit, secular and inclusive organisation meeting the needs of Black (Asian and African-Caribbean) women.

They offer:

  • advice and outreach services (click here)

  • signposting to legal help

  • support for migrant victims, including accommodation, subsistence payments and IDVA support (click here)

  • advice on forced marriages (click here)

  • advice for people with children (click here)

Call 020 8571 9595 

Email info@southallblacksisters.co.uk

Shelter UK

A national housing and homelessness charity. 

They offer:

  • one-to-one personalised help with housing issues and homelessness

  • housing advice online (click here)

  • free webchat with an adviser (click here)

  • free legal advice (click here)

Free Emergency Helpline

If you are:

  • homeless

  • have nowhere to stay tonight

  • are worried about losing your home in the next two months

  • are at risk of harm or abuse

Call 0808 800 4444


Domestic Violence Advisors (IDVAs) work alongside survivors of sexual violence to put in place measures to ensure immediate safety, develop individual safety plans where possible, and act as advocate at the MARAC.

IDVAs available in Oxford include:

  • the High Risk and Court IDVA for Oxfordshire (provided by Reducing the Risk). It works with everyone in Oxfordshire who is assessed as at high risk of significant harm and trauma through abuse. 

note: similar to an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) (see FAQs).

To access, call the Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline (run by A2Dominion): 0800 731 0055.

Independent, inclusive, confidential.

Respect Phoneline

A helpline for domestic violence perpetrators who wish to change.


Call 0808 8024040

Email info@respectphoneline.org.uk

Webchat available on their website

Service provided by Respect, a national charity fighting domestic violence.

Open to people regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.

Domestic Violence

(Oxford + UK)
find housing, advisors, counselling, legal resources and more